Enriching Lives Through Jesus Christ for over 100 Years
The history and legacy of the Indian Lake Community Church are steeped in tradition. Indian Lake Community Church (ILCC) had its humble beginnings as the Union Sunday School on September 12, 1923. This was a small cottage on Chase Avenue. Soon after, the Ladies Aid raised funds to purchase the cottage, and thus ILCC firmly grounded its roots in the Indian Lake region.
A groundbreaking ceremony was conducted on October 8, 1935, for the original portion of what is now Indian Lake Community Church. The men of the community volunteered in a collaborative effort to build the church. They began work in November of 1935 by pouring the basement in the church’s current location. The congregation worshiped in the basement for over two years, and on October 9, 1938, the completed sanctuary was dedicated. As the congregation grew, the church purchased the property to the south side of the church for use as a parsonage on September 8, 1944.
> Click to enlarge gallery <
The basement was enlarged to include a Sunday school room and recreation room which was dedicated on September 10, 1955. Then during the 1956 annual meeting, the congregation voted to build a sanctuary over the basement extension in the current sanctuary's original south section.
The tract of land behind the building was donated to the church in 1954, and a narthex was added in 1975 to provide shelter over the entrance to the sanctuary and outside basement steps.
The next expansion was pivotal in the growth and expansion of Indian Lake Community Church when in 1977, the Fellowship Hall was built across the street from the church and was dedicated on June 26, 1977. The Daycare was started on September 13, 1990. The CWF was started in 1992. Due in part to the Covid pandemic in 2019, the Daycare was permanently closed.
And on Easter Sunday, 2015, we launched our Contemporary Worship Service (the Lighthouse At Indian Lake and expanded our Youth Program (Ignite Student Ministries) to deliver the Word of God to a broad and diverse congregation. In October 2017, we opened the Gathering Grounds Coffee Shop.